Sunday, November 23, 2008

Show & Tell: Fluffernutter Sandwich

To make a Fluffernutter sandwich, first you need a Fluffernutter. Fluffernutter is my long haired, seal point Himalayan, slightly neurotic, 19 year old cat. For the first, oh, 12 years of her life, Fluffernutter was a scaredy cat who would run away when you tried to pet her. Once I came into Magic's life, we changed her diet, and she had a personality change for the better. She still only occasionally slept with us. In the last couple of months, she has had yet another personality change that has coincided with her cessation of nocturnal yowling. We do not know what instigated this, but we've been enjoying Fluffernutter sandwiches ever since. For this Show & Tell, you have to visualize this one as I can't take pictures of it. Click here to see pictures from the last Show & Tell of Fluffernutter.

First, Fluffernutter will get in position when it gets close to bed time. She will stalk the end of the bed or levitate on top of it in anticipation of the Fluffernutter sandwich. Once Magic and I get in bed, Fluff will make her move under the sheets between us. Magic and I used to spoon together, snuggled up, but Fluffernutter has decided she wants a piece of the action. Once we have turned Fluff around so her butt is not in my face, Magic and I will squeeze Fluffernutter between us and make the Fluffernutter sandwich. She seems to love this, being squished between us as Magic and I cuddle together.

Magic is kinda miffed that Fluff has interrupted our sacred snuggling time, but I don't mind. I keep saying to him that she won't live forever and we should enjoy it while we can. After Fluff was peeing all over the house recently, we discovered that her kidney values have doubled, which means that her kidneys are getting worse. We already knew they were bad. We were giving her subcutaneous fluids every other day, but now we have to give her fluids everyday. Giving a cat subcutaneous fluids is nothing like giving yourself a subcutaneous shot. We use a 22 gauge needle that we put under her skin by piercing it, and then inject 100 ml of an electrolyte solution.


<- Fluff (patiently getting fluids) and fluids ->.


Fluff won't die tomorrow, but her days are more numbered than usual.

Join the rest of the class at this week's Mel's Show & Tell.

7 comments:

Elana Kahn said...

Oh I love cats (and fluffernutter sandwiches). They can just be sooo cute! Here from ICLW.

Dora said...

What a cutie. Spooning kitties are the best.

Enjoy those snuggles with your 19 year old. I had one for 19 years. It's been 7 years since he's gone. I still miss him.

Mermaid said...

What a great story! She's a good cat to be so patient with the fluids.

B MoM said...

your cat is adorable. =) I love the title too...fluffernutter sandwich.

Its amazing how much we will do for our pets, huh? I'm an american bulldog mommy and we just went out and bought a $220 dog house for him!! That spoiled boy! =) Wonder how we'll spoil our future kids? (you better believe we're having future kids!!!)
ICLW

Lost in Space said...

Awww, what a pretty guy. He sounds like one lucky and spoiled cat. (; I'm so glad he brings you so much happiness.

Pamela T. said...

I live vicariously through those who have cats as pets...wishing you many fluffernutter sandwiches.

Wishing 4 One said...

How sweet and what a great sandwich, I so with my Florenzo would cuddle up like that....thinking of your little fluffernutter and hoping for painfree days....