Sunday, May 24, 2009

Show & Tell: Fire it Up!

I always love metaphors of transformation into something beautiful after going through fire. It's the theme of this blog, if you haven't noticed.

A while back, I was inspired by Lori's pottery pals, and did my own creation. Never having done this before, I didn't know what I was getting into when I chose a pasta bowl. I've always loved colorful pasta bowls, so I thought I would paint one for myself. Little did I know that it would take me three days to do this!! Since you have to coat everything two or three times, it takes a long time to finish a big piece with lots of colors, like I did.


Before firing.

By the last day, I wanted to join the family at the table that brought their own Margaritas!

The wait was worth it.



After firing.



Edge detail.

The sunflowers look like a third grader did them. I traced them from a photo of a real sunflower. Otherwise, I don't have any drawing talent. But I really like how the edge turned out!

This bowl was a nice distraction for me during my FET cycle. I left it on the island in my kitchen, and it's bright colors distracted me from potential trauma triggers. During the doldrums of winter, it was nice to have a splash of color around the house. It has yet to see a bowl of pasta, though!

You can see what everyone else is showing off at Mel's Show and Tell.

18 comments:

Lollipop Goldstein said...

It's gorgeous! It's sort of a nice reminder of what you can get if you're willing to sit there with the paint for a while.

Lori Lavender Luz said...

It's STUNNING!

The only way it would be better is if it had some of your (non-nut) pesto pasta in it.

Really beautiful, Phoebe.

Jaymee said...

it is just beautiful!!! i have no artistic talent, and doubt that i could even trace that well. thank you for the inspiration to at least try, this is something that i have always wanted to do.

ILCW

Kristin said...

That is fabulous! And, the sunflowers are PERFECT. On a dish like that, they shouldn't be perfectly real.

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys said...

hi, I am visiting from ICLW...No. 126 to say hello and to check out your blog.
Goodluck for your FET.
The bowl is spectacular. I love the colours and the sunflowers.

My Little Drummer Boys

Fat Chick said...

Wow!!! That is beautiful!!!

ICLW

We have Angel Wings said...

Very beautiful!

~ICLW

Alana said...

Lovely job! The bowl is SO pretty! :)

*ICLW*

..al said...

Oh Gorgeous! Absolutely fantastic!

You are so talented!

*ICLW*

Beautiful Mess said...

You did a BEAUTIFUL job! Your flowers do NOT look like a 3rd grader did them. If you want to see horrible art work, I'll draw you something. It is SO vibrant, I'm glad you enjoyed yourself. Sending you many good luck vibes!
*ICLW*

Retro Girl said...

I love that bowl...I was instantly inspired to go paint pottery after I saw the pic! I felt cheery when I saw it and it is not even in my kitchen! You should definitely do so more painting...

Anonymous said...

I love it! I think the sunflowers are awesome! I also think you must have artistic talent to be able to create that - my clay painting attempts are something only my mother could have loved. :-)

tireegal68 said...

I love the bowl and the pesto with arrugala recipe is genius!
You definitely made my day!
Thanks and happy ICLW to you:)

Denver Laura said...

I'm so glad you posted the finished picture! I would never have imagined that those colors were goign to pop out so much! I love it!

JJ said...

Wow you are an ar'tist! That is beautiful! I took a ceramics class in college--I wasnt too great at it, but I LOVED doing it--Im thinking about taking another class at a local place here...

Rebecca said...

OMG, that is FABULOUS!!! I love it....and the sunflowers are great! I wish I could do that.

ICLW

Anonymous said...

this is absolutely stunning! really beautiful.

on another note, you've been tagged on my blog--enjoy!

kayjay said...

I love sunflowers and you have got to be kidding me if you think that those ones look like a 3rd grader painted them - I would have paid good money to buy that piece in a pottery store!! All the little details too are really sweet. What a great idea to do this to distract yourself :)